The annual Rick Lapointe Tournament got underway yesterday in Victoria, BC. This years tournament features twelve teams with 11 of them from British Columbia along with the Camrose Red Wings from the AMBHL.
Through day 1, the host Victoria Racquet Club Kings are the lone team to pick up two wins from day 1 after a 3-1 victory over the Coquitlam Chiefs and then a 6-2 victory over the Semiahmoo Ravens. In the 3-1 win, 2004 born Jason Spizawka picked up 2 assists while his twin brother Ryan Spizawka scored one of the goals. Then in the 6-2 win later in the day. Ryan Spizawka scored 2-1-3 and Jackson Hungle had a pair of goals as well. Jason Spizawka had 2 assists. Both Ryan and Jason Spizawka are highly ranked in our 2004 born ranking list for the 2019 WHL Bantam Draft.
Top Performances from Day 1 at the Rick Lapointe Tournament:
- Eric Song had 4-1-5 and Benjamin Musso with 2-2-4 in a wild 9-6 Coquitlam win over the Hollyburn Huskies. Hoyt Stanley fired home 2-3-5 while Jack Hensley 2-2-4 and Griffin Palfrey 1-3-4.
- The Langley Eagles played just once on opening day and came away with a 5-1 win over Cloverdale. Garett Whintors and Liam Bressette each had 1-3-4 and Zach Urquhart had 1-2-3.
- Ridge Meadows played once yesterday and opened with a 4-1 over JDF Grizzlies. Dylan Smail had a hat-trick!
- The Seafair Islanders are likely the top non CSSHL from the province of BC this year and came away from Day 1 with a 1-0-1 record. They began the day with a 1-1 tie vs. Camrose. Carson Bigras had the Seafair goal while Jager Broughton scored for Camrose. Then Seafair got by the Saanich Braves 7-2 with captain Jaden Uy scoring 4-1-5! Michael Abgrall and Josh Wessels had big games as well. Carson Bigras scored once again.
- The Chilliwack Bruins tied Saanich 3-3 with three different goal scorers. Desmond Arthurs had a strong game for Saanich according to our scout in attendance. They fell 5-4 to Camrose in the final game for them of the day with Harrison Trudeau scored a pair for Chilliwack and Sam Popowch a hattrick for Camrose.
Action continues this morning at 7 AM Pacific Time. Stay tuned for updates throughout the day and weekend.